Saturday, 9 October 2010

Fluid in my feet


I haven't been running for the last 3 days. That's because my right foot feels a little bruised. Yesterday I had it massaged and there seems to be some fluid in my midfoot. That means I have to give it some time to rest. So this morning I took my hybride bike to go for a 1 hour ride. Have to keep in shape while not running. Hope it will recover soon because I love the running every morning!

If anyone has or had a similar injury please let me know. Sharing your experiences means learning from eachother. Any advice be more then welcome!

-Esther-



My dear friend Paul ( from Anyonesrunning) gave me some good advice;

"Hi Essie ,

we hebben eerst gelopen en in de zon gezeten ( vit. D)lees ik dat goed
vanmorgen?... fuck! Essie heeft een dikke voet. can't say i didn't warn you
, heel spijtig maar ja " welcome to the club  dit overkomt iedere loper wel
eens , toch iets gedaan waar je nog niet klaar voor bent .
Het is maar een theorie die ik tijdens mijn duurloop vanmorgen had  sorry
but"  your problem whas on my mind". Wat kan ze fout hebben gedaan!! zou het
de sprong over het balkje afgelopen dinsdag"na de training zijn geweest?  je
belast de voet dan met wel 6 a 7 maal je lichaamsgewicht. , op het moment
tijdens de training misschien maar met 2 a 3 maal je lichaamsgewicht , zo'n
sprong of landing kan net de druppel zijn
Vertel mij jouw voorkeursvoet bij de landing na een grote sprong en ik denk
dat dat jouw pijnlijke voet met vocht is ."


Paul


And also Steven Sashen from 'Invisble Shoe' gave me some tips. Thanks Steven for your advice!


"Hi Esther,

Since I'm not a doctor and can't actually see your foot, it's hard for me to say. But, based on my experience, let me point out a few things that may help:

1) Since it's a problem with ONE foot and not both, whatever happened in not simply a problem running, or running in huaraches. Assuming you didn't accidentally step on something, or unknowingly pull/tear/break something (I know of people who've broken a bone in their foot and not known it at the time), then having the problem on one foot and not both suggests that you're doing something different with your feet/legs.

I know that may sound stupid, but you'd be surprised how often someone will say, "I'm running barefoot and my right foot gets blisters and my left foot doesn't... so clearly barefoot running is bad for me!" And I have to point out: "Just learn what your LEFT foot is doing right and do the same thing with your right foot."

2) It's surprisingly common for people to do something different with one foot/leg than the other and not know it. I ran with 12 people today and 4 of them would overstride with one foot/leg and not the other!

3) I have an article about how barefoot running isn't just about running barefoot (or in huaraches). That once we take off our shoes, we have to really pay attention to our sensations because that's how we learn -- if it hurts, we have to do something different to find what doesn't hurt.

Most people, when learning to run barefoot or in huaraches do too much before they try correcting their form. Or they start out with good form and then continue past the point where they've gotten tired and their form has suffered.

4) Almost every injury I've ever seen from barefoot/huarache running is pointing to a form problem (unless, of course, it's something acute, like taking one step too hard, or landing on a rock, or something like that).

5) I got a big blister after my 2nd barefoot run (a 5k run... even though I'd never run more than 2k before). Trying to run before the blister had heeled, and trying to do so in a way that didn't hurt, led me to find a new stride pattern that not only didn't hurt, but was faster and lighter than before.

I'm not saying "go out and run while you're still injured" as much as "when you do go out to run, see if you can bring your attention to that part of your foot and see if you notice anything different about it, or just see if you can find a way to make it easier.

6) Many barefoot runners are surprisingly hard on their feet. You can sometimes hear them landing. Sometimes they even heel-strike, like they were in shoes. One cue is to imagine you're trying to sneak up on a deer when you run. This will help you see the difference  between having very "soft knees" (really, soft ankles, knees, hips) and whatever else you were doing before.

7) I can't remember what your history with barefooting is: whether you've been running barefoot a lot, or in VFFs a lot, or if you're new to either. Suffice it to say, that can make a difference. One woman on the run today said she couldn't run barefoot, but she could run in her VFFs... that's because her form was wrong -- she was overstriding like crazy! -- and rather than correct it by changing her form, she covered it up with the padding  that VFFs provide (which is actually quite a bit of padding compared to barefoot or huaraches).

Again, this would all be INFINITELY easier to do if I could see you run rather than just based on the small amount of information you gave me in an email.

I hope this was in some way useful.

If not, let me know and I'll try again."



Steven Sashen

2 comments:

  1. Esther - I started running in VFF's after I finished my first half-marathon last year. I did a 2-day, 40-mile walk in them this summer (and wore a hole in the bottoms I might add). After the walk I had a very similar feeling in my left foot to what you describe: it wasn't really painful, but just felt "full" and I could see a little puffiness in the area just below my toes. The doctor said I had a condition similar to "turf toe," something seen in American football players who push off hard on their toes when sprinting on soft turf. (He suggested hard shoe inserts, which I of course ignored.) I did a little research and ran in shoes for a while to let my foot rest. When I went back to running in VFF's, I started focusing on squeezing my butt muscles to keep my pelvis up as I run. So far, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Robyn - Thanks for the advice! That really helps me and other people who read our blog.

    Yesterday I had my first run in 4 days. I had a quit run in which I focused on landing and the movement of my 'bad' foot trying to find out what the problem would be. Guess what? This run was so nice and smooth, I ran the best time in weeks! I really think I stepped on something a week ago and that may haved caused the injury.

    ReplyDelete