Sunday, 19 September 2010

Open for a new experience

Allrighty! So this is Michelle here, "Hi!" Believe it or not, but this is actually my first Blog entry... ever! What a wonderful topic to start off with then, our passion for Barefoot-running. This is one of those things in life which you just roll into. We didn't go out looking for this, it just so happened to cross our pathway, and thus we've embraced it whole-heartedly.

Being an avid adrenaline-beast, I was rather apprehensive about running in shoes which had nothing less than a rubber sole and nylon uppers. The first thing that crossed my mind was: "Oh my God... the injuries, the pain... uuugh". I was fearful that running barefoot may negatively impact my flow... Nonetheless, I took on the challenge (actually, I just thought the whole concept made real sense, theoretically) now all it takes is for me to be convinced. There is only one way to get hooked, and that is JUST TO DO IT!

So now we're DOING IT! 3 weeks down the road and I can't tell you how naive I was before... In short, I believed it to be normal that all running shoes had a support system and today I'm thinking, Support for what ?
We weren't born with them, (although, some get buried in em), and our distant hunter-gatherer fore-fathers and mothers didn't need them (perhaps because there was no asphalt or concrete in those days).

ANYWAY! Back to the experience. As I was saying before, having embarked on this barefoot-journey has truly opened my eyes as to increasing your personal performance and at the same time, increasing the experience, the flow. Back to basics, has been my theme for the past half year and this is a perfect activity which not only honors that, but fuels it too!

That's it for now. Thanks for taking the time and we'll catch you later.

- Michelle

p.s. Be warned! When starting out on barefoot-running, please take the time to adapt to a new way of running. Barefoot running doesn't make you a better runner, it forces you to run better. So take the time to listen to your body and before you know it, you're running experience brings you closer to yourself than you have ever been.

No comments:

Post a Comment